• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Strep throat, maybe im just crazy, guidance please.

StereoLogic

Bluelighter
I have been tested for strep throat with no call back yet, and to clarify I was tested yesterday. The doctor gave me the prescription for amoxacilian, and told me not to bother filling it until the test came back. Since they never call me back, and I have had a history in the last six months of strep and tonsilitis, i got it filled figuring if its a bacteria related virus, or infection, ill need antibodies either way. The prescription is for 1 500mg pill of amoxacilin 3 times a day for 10 days. I've have taken 3 x 500mg amoxacilin pills 8 hours apart so far, and im worried because im noticing im feeling particularly emotionaly imbalanced. It seems to be clearing up but I have felt a great deal of fuzzyness in my head recently as well. These waves of emotion are just too much, it makes me pretty much break into tears for no reason. Maybe I'm just depressed? Yesterday I found myself rather hostile but I figured I was just upset with being sick. Maybe I am picking at nothing, but my god I hope this clears up fast. I don't think they will call back with my lab result because they never do even though I have confirmed my number with them a million times. My throat hurts more now that Im taking the pills, but the terrible taste and sleeping for 24 hours at a time seems to have subsided quite a bit. I have to go to work tonight and talk on phones about why peoples alarm systems have gone off. Can't afford to take time off work, so oh joy am I happy. 12 hour night shifts are the best! ( insert subtle sarcasm here ).

You should call your doctor. I think you are feeling this way because you are still quite sick. Have you got a raised temperature? It sounds to me as though you need a day or more off work, in bed, to let it clear up. You need a rest.

In the future, I wouldn't jump into antibiotics so quickly. They tend to kill the beneficial bacteria in your body and throw your system even more out of balance than it already is.

I have to assume that you've "cured" this last bout of strep. For future reference, do some research into "cayenne tea" (cayenne, ginger, garlic,...). Very easy to make with very inexpensive ingredients available at any supermarket. Best of all, no ill effect on your beneficial bacteria and added benefit over and above the strep/cold remedy.